JR North

Yeah, they rely on the sludge buildup in domestic engines to do the job.
That's why they recommend 7.5k oil changes. Why put a washer in, when it
adds .02 to the price of the car.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ron DeBlock wrote:

Any auto parts store will have them for less than the dealer charges - I
think I paid about $1 for a three pack of them (I also have a Subaru). I
dunno if you can substitute a simple copper washer for the crush washer.
My Volvo and other cars I've owned use simple copper washers, they are
slightly cheaper. However, my Pontiac doesn't have any seal/gasket/washer
on the oil drain plug, and it doesn't leak - those clever American
engineers must know something that the Swedes, Germans and Japanese don't.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"