Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:41:18 -0700, bigcat wrote:

If the flames are blue then cleaning out the air heat exchanger should
fix everything.

Ooh
OK, how to do this: drain system, figure out how to remove exchanger,
figure out how to clear it and reassemble. Then if it works ok, get a
retest before using it.

Nothing quite so drastic. You should be able to clean out the gas side of
the heat exchanger without removing it from the boiler, and you won't
need to touch the water side at all. An over-grown bottle brush available
from some boiler spares shops/plumbers' merchants will help.

nice one

However given the uncertainties of the safety of this boiler and your
modest experience I recommend you get someone to look it over even if
you do the cleaning out yourself.

Oh I will.

The only problem is I cant see what Im doing, cant actually see the
heat exchanger at the top at all. And since I've never worked on one I
dont know what size the gaps are in the exchanger, now how deep they go
- but I'll see what I can do, starting with a little bottle brush
tomorrow, and upgrading to a plumbing merchant one.

Thanks.

NT