Weatherlawyer

You can buy some good tack on a car boot. Don't be afraid of paying a
fiver for a wooden jack if in good condition.

Draper is OK, Record and Stanley are all about the same but cost a
little more. For the sme money you can get an electric one. 240 V ones
are fairly cheap.

What do you need a plane for?

I have managed for years with a small hand plane (a smoothe) and an
electric one.

You also need a stone. Buy a diamond one and learn how to use it
properly. Use plenty of water with it. When choosing an electric one
you want to know if changing or sharpening the blades is the best for
you. I can grind and sharpen mine but I would be better off with
disposables these days.