Dave D

Default Sony EV-S700UB drawer problem

I have acquired a Sony EV-S700UB 8mm VCR. It came to me with a fault, namely
the cassette draw often opens on power on, ejecting the tape. On trying to
close the draw to load a tape, the draw will not go fully home and will not
latch. Cycling the power a few times and hitting the eject button seems to
"reset" things and the tape loads successfully, until the next power off or
sometimes when it feels like it.

Once a tape loads, the video and audio are fine, and all other functions
seem to work. Obviously, I don't expect a proper diagnosis based on such a
flimsy description, but I was hoping maybe this is a common fault with a
common solution, ie slipping belt etc. I can go in and repair it no problem,
but a head start would be most beneficial as it's rather complex!

Thanks in advance

Dave