Patriarch

"Roger N" wrote in
ink.net:

I have an odd shaped kitchen counter that I need to replace. The
problem with the existing counter is that it got wet in sink area and
the particle board swelled up and is falling apart. I already have
the formica, glue, tools, trimmer bit, etc. I'm wanting to replace
this counter top and try to prevent this from happening again. Should
I use MDF instead of Particleboard? Should I use a sealer or exterior
paint on areas near the sink not covered by formica?

Get yourself to a library, or order up from the Taunton website, the copy
of Fine Homebuilding this spring that detailed building such a countertop.
With pictures and everything.

BTW, the solution is to stop the water. MDF will do the same as the
particle board. But even if the substrate were impervious to the water,
the damage will be done, if not there, then elsewhere. Mold, mildew and
dry rot are nasty, expensive things. And they encourage insects.

Patriarch