Wayne Cook

On 8 Sep 2005 19:23:16 -0700, "HC" wrote:

Hey, Wayne, I had a piece of pipe here that had a coating on it that
appeared to have been tar on the outside (mostly removed by whomever
had the pipe before I got it, presumably the metal yard it had come
from at some point) and beneath that a light teal colored heavy
plastic-type coating. Burning a fire inside the pipe caused the outer
coating of whatever that teal colored stuff was and the tar to soften
to the point that I was able to easily push it off with a shovel as the
fire burned. Does that sound like the epoxy coating you're talking
about? That 7' 9" piece might be alright if that coating is easily
removed by a hobbyist... I don't want to have to waste about 50 wire
cup brushes knocking the stuff off..

Nope that sounds like a standard wrap on pipeline pipe. It actually
comes off pretty easy with a air chisel or chipping hammer when cold
and aged somewhat. What I'm talking about is a green epoxy paint that
El Paso used to use on there pipe. It's pretty tough to get off with a
wire brush and really needs to be ground off. But like I said it seems
to be thinner on this piece of pipe than others that I've dealt with.
It can be burned off but you do need to be up wind when it happens
(the fumes are really obnoxious as another poster indicated).

The other piece with the end bells doesn't have any paint and isn't
to bad on the outside. I don't have a clue on the inside since it's
closed.

Thank you for checking on that stuff.

No problem.

Wayne Cook