John2005

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I will check into the Haynes site Wayne. If
the founder of Haynes invented stainless steel, I am a fan of His.

Ned, I may be able to use a "non rotating" 3/16" OD hardened steel
dowel pin for a follower, If this is what you meant by "sliding
follower". Would I probably need to put a hard chrome plating on the
pin ?

The main problem I would be worried about with a non-rotating pin as a
follower is that I think the sliding noise may be too great. I need to
keep the device as quiet as possible. I want the product to be
maintenance free, and I could only lube it once at assembly. I had
planned on making the cam from 4140 steel, hardened to 20 to 32 RC.

If there is a way to make it quiet for the life of the product, and
wear well, a non-rotating pin may be the way to go. I found a chrome
plating http://www.armoloy.com/ that looks interesting, if it can be
cost effective.

Thanks
John