Chris

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in the market for a VFD. The motor it is driving is a 10HP Baldor
3 phase. I have single phase power (100amp service). Talking to a
recommended online supplier they suggest a 20HP VFD, which from what I
have read sounds reasonable. My question is in what brand to get.
They have 20HP Westinghouse/Teco for about $1200, and a surplus 25HP
WEG for $850. I'd rather spend more dough if the WEG gets questionable
results. Thanks for the input!

I thought the normal rating was something like 150%. Thus a VFD rated for
15HP would be safe for a 10HP motor. I might be wrong on that. Save for
that I would look at exactly what the manufacture specs dictate. If the VFD
is rated to convert single phase to 3 phase, the rating will be there as
well. 10HP to a 20HP VFD is a big jump in price.

Another thing to look at is braking. Does the unit provide braking, or do
you care if the VFD can brake the motor. Other than that a lot of the more
expensive VFDs have fancy controls, user interfaces, different inputs, etc,
that may or may not be needed in your application.

For what it is worth VFDs are plentiful on ebay. I picked up a $1300
Siemens unit for ~$150. It was a 3 phase only VFD though. I do think the
single phase to 3 phase converters do go for more, for obvious reasons.

Otherwise good luck.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.