Ned Simmons

In article 1126201097.584262.69570
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
says...
Hi Everyone,

I need to make a small .1875" OD X .125" ID X .1875" long, plain sleeve
bushing. I will be using the bushing as a small cam-follower roller.
The bushing will oscillate or pivot on a hardened steel dowel pin
(RC60) having a surface finish of 8 micro-inch or better.

The average load on the bushing (90% of time) is about 100 pounds
(4,266 PSI), but it will intermittently have a maximum load of 168
pounds (7,160 PSI). I can only lubricate the bushing ID once at
assembly (even this is difficult) , and then never again. I also have
to be careful not to get any lube on the bushing OD.

With a 1/32" wall the bearing is going to deform and you're
not going to see uniform pressure on the entire bearing
area. In other words, the max pressure is going to much
higher than you've calculated. I'd be willing to bet that
the pressure distribution between the pin and follower will
be closer to that you'd see between the pin and cam if the
follower were not present. The formulae for calculating the
pressure between two curved surfaces account for the
deformation of the two bodies in the contact area.

Googling-
bearing "hertzian stresses"
-turned this up among plenty of other promising links.

http://212.90.7.34/shigley/studenti/tutorial/6177-4
_Hertz_Contact_Stresses.pdf

Do you have to use a rolling follower? Depending on the
shape of the cam, you might do better with a sliding
follower that spreads the load over a larger area.

Ned Simmons