Solar Flare

I hear this all the time. High wire janitors are not electricians or
engineers.

"Pete C." wrote in message
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:51:51 -0400, Steve Spence
wrote:
ATP* wrote:

I've seen plenty of simpler electrical jobs screwed up or just poorly
executed by people with more than a bit of sense. In any case, it has

to be
listed and inspected per the local utility regulations.

Some of the most screwed up DIY installations I've ever had to
rework were done by engineers and (literally) 'Rocket Scientists' who
thought they knew better. I think half the parts the former owner
used for the additions at this house (before we bought it) "fell off
the loading dock" at Rocketdyne in the '60's, though I can't prove it.

Local electric utility linemen do some pretty screwed up stuff as well.
The house I'm in now had a utility lineman as an owner previously and
I'm still correcting his mess.

Little things like 240v feeds to the shop wirenutted and left exposed at
ground level, as in individual THHN comes out through hole in brick,
wirenut to more THHN and then disappear underground. The same 240v feed
to the shop is fed from separate 20a and 30a single pole breakers in the
damn panel.

All of the mess to the shop and indeed the crappy stab-lock main panel
are on the agenda to be replaced with a good 200a QO panel for the
house, a 100a QO for the shop, all new wire to the shop in some proper
sch 40 PVC underground to the shop, etc. I figure it's a good weekend
project, not counting pre-trenching in the conduit.

There are plenty of other less significant things that I've been fixing
along the way as well. I do however like the four steel light poles he
used to support the carport roof along side the shop and the two others
with HID lights (mismatched of course) that light the yard.

Pete C.