Wayne Cook

On 8 Sep 2005 10:02:52 -0700, "HC" wrote:

I had posted this in sci.engr.joining before finding this group, but
I'll be watching both threads, so if you have an answer feel free to
post it here. Thank you.

original post
Hello, I'm in North Texas (about an hour and fifteen minutes northwest
of Dallas) and I'm having problems sourcing some metal pipe. A friend
of mine and I are looking to for some pipe to build a barbeque smoker
from and the closest place to us, in Gainesville, TX, only has 24" x
3/8" and it's brand new...$52.00 a foot PLUS torch time. I need a
place that I can buy pipe in sizes 20" to 26" by 1/4" somewhere nearby,
and I would like it to be used (I don't want to pay a premium for brand
new pipe, nor do I need the pipe to be certified or pass any particular
pressure test). I wouldn't mind buying used or inspection-failed
propane tanks if they had the proper wall-thickness.

Can anyone make some suggestions of where I might be able to buy this
stuff?

Thank you for your help.

Ok. I just came from around back. I have two pieces of 20" pipe. One
is 7' long and has dished end caps on it (it was used as a air tank a
really long time ago), the other is 7' 9" with 3/8" wall. The second
piece is a really nice piece of pipe. The only concern with it is the
fact that it's got a epoxy paint on most of the outside. Past
experience has shown this stuff to be very difficult to get rid of
though this piece doesn't seem to have as thick a coat as some items
I've worked with in the past.

I've also got a piece of 23" pipe which is in a little rougher
condition. It's about 4' long but has a U cut out of one end with only
3' being whole. Lots of other sizes but most are smaller. The 30" pipe
that I've got is 3/8" wall and has 10" coming out the sides. I was a
little off on the measurement there.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm