Jerry Built

Default Lining Paper - no joins visible - stays put.

Eric Cartman wrote:
OK, I'm really into plain interior walls, love the clean unbroken
look. Now the house I have just bought, once all the paper has been
removed will need skimming.

Why? Is the wall already jagged up, or is it difficult to remove
the paper without damaging the wall? There's a lot you can do
with filler and a knife to put it on!

The cheaper alternative for me would be heavy lining paper and I
would have a go at this myself (never wallpapered before).

As others have said, make sure the wall is dry.

Size the wall - *important*. Allow to dry completely.

Allow the paper to soak for a good 1/4 hr. before hanging. Fold
it (but don't crease it!) to stop it drying out during this time.

Paste the wall!

Hang the paper. Use a good quality (wooden handled, densely
bristled) brush. Make final positioning adjustments before
you brush the paper on hard. Don't distort the paper by
pushing it in one place, use the brush to gently persuade
the drop to move as a whole, grasshopper. Use a seam roller
to roll towards the seam from several inches into the drop
(horizontally). Paste should squish out all along. Wipe this
off (a good new car sponge is useful) and lightly roll the
seam up and down with the roller. You must not have air
bubbles under the paper, and they are easy to avoid. Any
thicker-than-ideal paste pockets will disappear when the
paper is dry. Make sure the paper, paste, wall and tools
are kept very clean - grit and bits of crap will show under
the paper.

J.B.