Ed Sirett wrote:
Got up the other day to find my van was dead.
No problem, I thought, battery is flat [1] I'll charge it up.
2 hours later the charging current was less than 1A and the voltage was up
to 14.6V.

But as soon the key was turned the pre-heater relay started chattering.
Investigations showed the battery was unable to receive a charge and could
only deliver a few amps. Battery only about 2.5 years old.

Was told when I went to buy a replacement "if Calcium batteries
go flat they die".

The battery on my second and not used very often car went flat not long
ago and wouldn't take much of a charge. It is a halfords calcium one
with a FOUR year warranty but I couldn't find the receipt. I think the
alternator belt had been slipping a little bit. I topped up one of the
sections with battery water added some of those battery rejuvinator
tablets and started a cycle of charging, then turning the engine over
on the starter motor, then charging again and after a few days the
battery now holds enough charge to keep the car going. I'm not sure
how long it'll last but may be worth a try in your case. All depends
on your attitude to risk I guess.