T i m

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:35:29 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[snip]

After a few years of this I finally cottoned-on to what
was happening. The main feed pipe had been shut off at
the meter, for about 6 months, and air had crept into it.
The solution was to simply purge the pipe beforehand.

At least you found a solution ;-)

So, I popped into Mum's again this morning with the new spade
connectors and silicon wire to make some new leads to go between the
over-temp stat and the thermocouple connector. I made one lead and
first used it to short the thermocouple connectors just to make sure
all was still ok .. it was. I then went to 're-dress' the thermocouple
neatly when I felt it 'give' where the thin copper tube joins the
bottom of the thermocouple itself (doh .. don't you just hate it when
that happens ..sigh). I'm normally very carefull with such things
(nice easy bend radisus etc .. not sure what happened there ..) ;-(

Anyway, I ripped out the new thermocouple and re-fitted the old one
(still not convinced that the old one was 'that bad') shorted the
inhibitor connector with one of my new leads and all was still ok ;-)

Re-fitted it all neatly, ran the two new leads between inhibitor
connectors to 'over temp' / inhibitor device and everything was sill
aok. So, I think it must have been bad (hr) connectors?

We put back all the covers / panels etc and ran the bolier properly
till it had fully heated the cylinder and all was still fine..

So, fingers crossed I suppose on this one .. will it now last till
it's replaced with the new bolier soonish ... (I feel it will)?

All the best ..

T i m