Andrew Gabriel

Default How to joint plaster ?

In article ,
"Red Devil" writes:
I am just about to attempt to have a first go at plastering a fairly large
lath & plaster wall. I will have to divide the wall into sections and I am
wondering what is the best way to join the sections.
Should I try and feather the sections, or make a stright line break point
between sections ?
I have read one post which suggested making a straight linr break.

The scratch (base) coat doesn't matter (or are you just skimming?)

For the finish coat, I work in vertical strips, covering as much width
as a bucket of plaster can. I feather each strip into the previous one
which works only if the previous one is still workable. If it's going
to be an hour or more between strips, you can't really feather and you'll
need to cut a clean edge. It doesn't need to be a straight line (actually,
a straight line can show more afterwards, depending on decorations and
how well you join it).

--
Andrew Gabriel