Anna Kettle

Default How to joint plaster ?

I am just about to attempt to have a first go at plastering a fairly large
lath & plaster wall. I will have to divide the wall into sections and I am
wondering what is the best way to join the sections.
Should I try and feather the sections, or make a stright line break point
between sections ?
I have read one post which suggested making a straight linr break.

You should plaster it in two coats. The first coat is called a
'scratch coat' and you don't try to get a good finish with that one,
all you want to achieve is a layer of plaster squeezing between the
laths to get a good key. You then scratch the surface and let it set.
The second coat makes a continuous, flat and possibly plumb surface.
If you want perfection then put on a third coat.

The first coat takes longest to do but it doesn't matter if you do it
in sections cos it will get covered and the finish is not important.
On all but the largest walls you will be able to do the second coat in
one go which will give the best finish but if you can't then make a
straight line break not a feather.

Lime plaster with plenty of hair in it is the traditional material. I
don't know if gypsum plaster will work cos I've never tried, but the
hair is a vital ingredient to give it tensile strength

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642