MetalHead

Ignoramus25850 wrote:
Someone offers me a hobart mega-arc 300 with 200' of cable, tig torch,
ground clamp etc. Supposedly can be used for tig welding.

No HF starting.

Question, is that a good deal at $500.

It is a 3 phase machine, which does not bother me terribly too
much. If it demands more power than my 10 HP RPC can produce, I will
add another, second idler motor. These motors cost nothing, relatively
speaking, and can be kept in some unused corner. I would spin up the
first idler and only then start the second, and the load after that. I
have 60A in my garage, easily upgradeable to 75A.

Any thoughts?

For my nickel, a DC only machine without HF and 3 phase input that is
hard to get parts for? I would offer him a case of beer and hauling it
out of his shop. $500 will get you lots more useful machines if you have
interest in alumuinum or TIG welding.

As for building your own inverter, Don is right. That is a serious
project and by the time it is working well, it would have been cheaper
to buy a Miller Dynasty!

Save your money,
Bob