Peter Taylor

Default How to joint plaster ?

Red Devil wrote

I am just about to attempt to have a first go at plastering a fairly large
lath & plaster wall.

Are you really going to replaster over the laths? That's OK if you have a
historic property and you want to restore it in the traditional way, but for
anything else it would be *much* less work to remove the laths and fix
plasterboard and just skim over that.

I will have to divide the wall into sections and I am
wondering what is the best way to join the sections.
Should I try and feather the sections, or make a stright line break point
between sections ?
I have read one post which suggested making a straight linr break.

Any help or suggestions will be greatfully accepted as it is a daunting
enough task without having to do things the long way around.

If you do it in sections, each section will need to have a vertical batten flush
with the plaster finish, to rule off. When the plaster has set this batten is
removed and used for the next section. Alternatively you could use galvanised
plaster stop beads on each section, but these would be permanent.

Peter