Nick Shipman

Tim.. wrote:
I have three UPS' on various computer equipment, and they seem happy with
the generator's supply.

Mine doesnt want to know. Its a Belkin . Dont know why, the supply volts
& hz are within tolerance on the box. Any ideas?

I've sometimes run a 2000VA UPS off a 2200VA generator
(I know...). The UPS takes a good long look at the
generator output, and when it's happy it switches over.
The generator sees the sudden load and its speed drops,
and the voltage with it. The UPS doesn't like this, and
disconnects. The generator speed shoots up. Hunting
continues indefinitely.

To start the whole business I've taken to resting a finger
on the generator's governor until the UPS switches over,
forcing the speed very slightly high. That's enough to stop
the UPS dropping out, and it'll run until it's out of fuel.

I reckon a generator engine needs a gurt big flywheel. But
at least I can drag this one around. Honda sidevalve, made
in Thailand. I dread to think when it was designed but it
starts on the first pull every time, no matter how many
years it's been lurking without attention in the shed.

Nick