Mike Berger

I don't think you're missing anything at all. Some people here
are just like the ones who scoff if you don't have the top of the
line computer for simple word processing.

I recently bought a Jet JWTS-10JF "contractor's table saw" on sale
for $ 499. It was better built than the comparable Delta available,
and has all the features I'll need for a long time. The table is
sufficiently large and the fence is decent. It has plenty of power.

If I need a commercial grade saw in a few years, what's the risk?
Why spend $ 1200 extra now for features I don't need, when I could
spend the same money down the road IF NECESSARY and maybe take as
much as a $ 250 loss on my old saw if I sell it? It's not a
very economical tradeoff.

The $ 500 table saws from Jet, Delta, DeWalt, etc. may not be
cabinet-maker grade, but they're more than sufficient for people
who don't make fine furniture in production quantities.

Hedley wrote:
More then 500$ for a "decent" table saw? Really? We're talking about a
project here and there, no production-type work, where a little extra set-up
time for each cut isn't that big a deal. Right? I thought the extra 200$
or so for an "entry level" conractor saw at the 500$ mark was for an
upgraded fence system and bells/whistles to make the work easier/faster.

I'm also looking and have set 500$ for my budget. I need the saw to be
fairly easy in setting up, and fairly accurate. The saws in the 89$ (yes,
they make them that cheap) to 350& range seem a little too small, wobbly and
insubstantial. 500$ seems about right, and I can always upgrade the fence
if it becomes needed.

I'm not arguing, really. Your opinion is your own. I just want to make
sure I know what I'm missing out on in not spending the extra 200$ or
looking for a used saw for 500$.

Thanks for all the input.

"Phisherman" wrote in message

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:05:10 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

Hello,

I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table
saw,
it has the following issues:
- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious
work
- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good)
- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it
- miter is worthless
- it's noisy and vibrates a lot...

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

regards, cyrille

Save up your $--you'll need a bit more to get a decent table saw
unless you can find a used one.