John Martin

Artemia Salina wrote:
I bought a large lot of assorted used milling cutters several years ago.
Among them were a few face mills. These take serrated inserts. They seem
to have been pressed into mating slots around the periphery of the mill
as I can find no clamping screws.

On some of the cutters (6" or 8" diameter) the inserts are pretty big.
0.5" x 1" x 2" approx. Others are smaller, but by no means "little."

I've tried to Google a source for these inserts without any luck,
since I'm not sure what name they go by, nor do I have any part numbers
for them.

Is anyone out there familiar with this type of (apparently HSS) insert?
How are they replaced so that they are all at the same height? Can they be
sharpened easily?

Thanks

These are not indexable inserts that automatically align themselves.
These are inserted into tapered slots until they are tight, and then
sharpened on a tool & cutter grinder to the same height.

John Martin