G Henslee

Craig wrote:
Hello, I have a bathroom where the builder installed a shower head (by
mistake) over our whirlpool tub. The tub has a tile splashguard (two rows
of ceramic tile topped by a bullnose row of tile, for a total of three
rows). I've decided to go ahead and finish the tiling so that we can use
the shower. The tile is installed directly onto green board. My questions
are these:

1) Is it okay to continue the next rows of tile above the bullnose if I
seal it good above the bullnose and the row of new tile (perahaps with a
good caulk of silicone)?

2) Given that this shower will only be used perhaps once or twice a
month (it is a secondary bathroom), will it be okay on the green board if I
seal the grout on an annual basis?

Since this home is only 4 years old, I'm loathe to tear out the wall and put
in cement board. Also, what alternatives are there to tile that would look
good? I would install it above the existing rows of tile. Most surrounds
I've seen look like they wouldn't go in well with the oversized tub and
existing tile. I've toyed with the idea of glueing acrylic sheet to the
wall and then caulking the seams with white silicone, but am afraid it won't
look good when I'm done. (But then I wouldn't be able to play with my new
Rotozip tile cutting bit :-) )
Thanks for the help,
Craig caheaton(AT)netzero.net (AT) = @

Whoa, down boy, down.

No need to "tear out the wall". Peel the three rows off and install
Haridbacker or Denshield over the existing drywall. Don't worry about
disturbing the drywall paper some as the backer will cover it. Then
tile using thinset mortar.

If you were hiring a pro I would recommend a mortar substrate over the
drywall as the numero uno substrate.

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.
He's a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. And as things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually do when confronted with their bad advice by those
who are epxerts in their respective fields.