BoborAnn

Default three wire alternator help

I'm trying to understand the difference between one and three wire
alternators but I'm still confused.
I understand that the three wire in addition to the high current output uses
a remote sense wire to eliminate the error due to the IR drop to a
distribution point ( versus regulating at the alternator)
What I don't get is the last wire and what its purpose is .I've read that
its used to possibly run a light on the dashboard but if you go to the
trouble of remote sense the + voltage why not remotely sense the ground and
compensate for that IR drop as well. This is for a marine application and
I'd expect similar drops there because the ground is carried through wires
( versus a chassis).
I've found lot of information via Google but nothing that would allow me to
draw a connection diagram for my friend
Thanks in Advance
Bob