Michael Latcha

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning a small deck project and I think I may need to cut notches
at the ends of some 4 x 4 ipe posts. (By "notch" I mean I want to
remove a 4" x 1" section at one end so that the post can be screwed in
from the side while resting on the 1" surface at the top.)

ok....

I've read that ipe can only be cut with carbide tools.

LOL... not true. I turn lots of ipe with plain ol' HHS tools.
It can be cut with any kind of sharp tool, the sharper the better. Regular
ol' HHS will give you a super sharp edge that you can refresh as needed.
Carbide gives you not quite so sharp an edge but last longer between
honings.

But the only
tools I have that can make this cut are japanese hand saws and the band
saw (and no carbide blade). Will I be able to make this cut through 4
inch ipe with an ordinary steel band saw blade?

I cut ipe all the time on my bandsaw with an ordinary Timberwolf for
subsequent turning.
Have cut pieces up to 2" thick. Works just fine.

I think I need to do three of them. Will an ordinary blade last through
three such cuts?

Sure. And if the blade starts out sharp/new, absolutely.

It wouldn't bother me if the blade is used up after this process. I
suppose I might end up having to cut the 4 x 4 posts to length as well.

Can I do this with one blade?

Don't see why not.
Do you know how to resharpen a bandsaw blade?

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI