jim rozen

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

"jim rozen" wrote: For residential meters which measure only the in-phase
component, they have no effect whatsoever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The I^2R losses in the circuit are based on the vector sum of the in-phase
component and the quadrature component. If the power factor is not one,
this resultant current is larger, so the meter reading goes up accordingly.
The electric company is not going to let you heat your wires for nothing.

The ohmic losses in the wires are small compared to the (real) windage
losses in the converter, which are themselves small. To put this in
perspective, the real power consumed by my 5 hp idler is about 200 watts.
This is bearing and windage loss in the idler itself.

The magnitute of the reactive current is about 7 amps, so for a loop
resistance of, say, one ohm, that would be another 50 watts. Not much.
But it makes sense to over-size those wires anyway, true.

Jim

please reply to: