Terry Collins

tg wrote:
"Cliff" wrote in message

Quite a few firms & systems got hit by the hurricane.
It looks like many had no good disaster recovery system.

Normal.

Some may have lost their backups too I'd wager.

Possibly. The better ones would have insisted on flood proof storage.

This includes government Sites.

How many firms are now out of business?

Probably many, but for many other reasons as well.
e.g. all/majority of your customers have gone out of business as well
and you can not absorb the loss.
--
Cliff

any firm that didn't have a backup stored somewhere deserves the same status
as the welfare losers who didn't leave NO.

ROFL, that is probably 99% of them.

So, how far away is your offsite backup stored?

In todays world of (increasingly
cheaper) DVD writers backups have become easier than ever to perform. I used
to use tapes for all my backups, but now I do it all on DVD. It's so easy
I'm astonished that some businesses miss this step.

Wow, your on a real humor run today. Don't give up the day jopb will
you. Hint, it isn't the tool that is important, it is how you use it
that matters.

If a business owner backs up and was able to evacuate and remebered to
take family records and his business papers, then he might survive. It
doesn't matter if it was on floppy, CDrom, DVD, Tape, Ram Stick, etc, or
even paper.

I will give everyone a free hint, you plan your backup system to match
the disasters you want your company to survive. For many companies, a
nuke hitting their city isn't something they are going to be too worried
about. Many companies don't plan to survive such events.