MM wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel.

Vax! V-027 =A3150 does everything below

Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective,

dramatically so. have tried both, theres no comparison.

key features to look for a
pumped liquid delivery, not gravity feed
twin contrarotating rollers
hand tool for doing edges, harder to reach areas, upholstery etc

otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

NT