DoN. Nichols

According to :
Jon,
Can't say I recognize them...but they are radicaly differentthan any
other fly cutter I've ever seen. I'll ask around & see if I can help
you locate the inserts. A couple of ??? for you though (I'm interested
here):

Rotary Technologies: The URL for the cutter inserts is:

http://www.rotarytech.com/inserts.ph...sID=7&TypeID=0

1.) Do the inserts glue or braze on? I didn't see anyplace for a screw.

There is a single screw in the center.

2.) Being round...is the cutting edge of the inserts 360 degree
rotatable...for a cutting edge around the entire surface?

Pretty close. IIRC, there are 12 rotary positions in which they
can be mounted, and then you can flip them over for another twelve
surfaces.

Actually -- checking the web site, it depends on the depth of
cut.

Depth of cut :
inch .03 .12 .25
mm .08 3.2 6.3
indexes/insert: 24 12 8

So -- the deeper you cut, the more of the edge you wear, and thus the
more positions it needs to be rotated through before it reaches the next
clean cutting edge for the full depth of cut.

3.) Are these things a better roughing cutter than they are for finish
work?

They can produce a beautiful finish with a sufficiently rigid
machine. But, as you can see from the table from their web page above,
they can be used for up to a 1/4" depth of cut, if roughing is your
game.

But -- before you go overboard about these, look at the prices
for the inserts, and the minimum orders of a box at a time. The 1/2" size
can range from $196.70 (for a box of ten in one grade) down to $53.11
(three per box in another grade). So -- it is around $17.70 -- $19.67
per insert.

If it works for you, and you're getting paid for the work, it
can be worth it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564