Bob Ward

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:27:34 GMT, SMS
wrote:

It's always amusing to see the "lasts the life of the vehicle"
statements by automakers. Yep, when the battery dies, the life of the
vehicle is over, and the battery lasted the life of the vehicle. As
Toyota stated regarding the RAV 4 EV, "The cost to replace the battery
is more than the value of the vehicle." We've seen similar idiotic
statements from automakers regarding other components, i.e. Saturn
timing chains, which, when they break, usually mark the end of the
vehicle ('see, we told you that the timing chain would last the life of
the vehicle!').

Timing CHAINS generally outlast timing BELTS by a considerable margin.
A Saturn with a timing CHAINwill generally oulast a VW's timing BELT.