Sacramento Dave

"Bill" wrote in message
I have a shower balancer that requires threaded inlet pipes and outlet
pipe. (It is a Moen that has some mechanism to keep the water temp
the same even if the laundry is used or toilet is flushed.) I can use
some length of threaded pipe but will need to do some soldering. How
far away from the balancer should I keep the soldering to ensure that
the balancer is not damaged? Would putting a bag of ice over the
balancer help or just screw up the soldering?

Solider the MIP ( threaded inlet pipes ) on a length of copper pipe, Then
screw it in shower valve ( balancer) This should keep the rest of you
solider work a little farther away from the valve. It still would be wise to
use the wet rag around the valve. If you want to screw a piece of pipe into
the valve make sure you use brass. Any iron pipe can cause electrolysis, If
you are tying into Iron you need a Dielectric union or nipple. The nipple is
easier, basically piece of pipe with plastic liner.