Jeff Wisnia

Howard Goldstein wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:53:19 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
: your's - to look at alternative lighting. Has anyone had luck with the
: infrared or ultrasonic wall switch replacements when used to control
: fluorescent fixtures? I have 240W worth of fluroescent tube lighting

Gauche to followup to myself I know, but in the nature of an update, I
visited the borg early this afternoon to look for a motion sensing
wall switch and came away with the borg meeting my expectations:
Disappointed, as usual. All of their in-stock motion sensing switches
are essentially fluorescent-incompatible. Sadly, the all-in-one
fixtures are quite large assemblies that'd make the garage look like a
sally port. (My big box place is probably stocked less well than
everyone else's though)

With Rich's post holding the promise of an exact replacement for my
dusty old ancient obsolete operator I'm probably not going to need a
fluorescent-compatible motion light switch (but if anyone has had any
good luck with them please let me know what you used)

I appreciate all of your comments and advice. Thank you!

Almost thought I had one for you Howard, but not quite.

I found this one in my "hell box" tonight.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/timer.html

It's a garage door light timer from the right era, but the winding
resistance is 500 ohms, and that'd certainly never do for going in
series with the motor.

It's probably what triggered me into thinking yours might actually go in
parallel with the motor in your opener.

Fer the heck of it I put line voltage across the coil and it heated up
and the bimetal bent so the contacts closed in less than a second. They
stayed closed for about 45 seconds after I unpowered the heater.

Good luck, I hope you get the right kind from Rich.

Also, FWIW the motion detectors in our office building johns are each
controlling a 4*40 watt flourescent pan. They look pretty much like
round smoke detectors mounted on the ceiling. Course fer all I know they
may be controlling relays which switch power to the the flourescents;
that much I'm not going to tear the place up to find out.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)