Jim Adney

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:18:20 +0000 (UTC) (G.
Louie) wrote:

Personally, I think the foam swabs are a VCR disaster for the reasons you
mention. I prefer to just buy chamois-style flat sticks by Chemtronics,
sold by many major electronic sales outlets. Yes, they are expensive, like
50 cents each or something. But they are clean and consistant, and save me
the trouble of buying chamois, popsicle sticks, and gluing my own.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll buy a few of the chamois
sticks, and stop using the foam swabs, unless I'm trying to clean
something other than the heads.

I like the clean white copy paper idea. It's probably got just about
the right amount of abrasiveness, and using a large piece which the
head can't get out from under is something which I'll try. It is also
appealing in that it should make it clear how much stuff is actually
getting removed from the head.

I'm a admitted cheapskate, but I only do this occasionally for my own
use, so I probably won't try to "roll my own" even though the thought
appeals to me.

Is there a better source for the chamois sticks than MCM?

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA