Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning a small deck project and I think I may need to cut notches
at the ends of some 4 x 4 ipe posts. (By "notch" I mean I want to
remove a 4" x 1" section at one end so that the post can be screwed in
from the side while resting on the 1" surface at the top.)

I've read that ipe can only be cut with carbide tools. But the only
tools I have that can make this cut are japanese hand saws and the band
saw (and no carbide blade). Will I be able to make this cut through 4
inch ipe with an ordinary steel band saw blade? I think I need to do
three of them. Will an ordinary blade last through three such cuts?
It wouldn't bother me if the blade is used up after this process. I
suppose I might end up having to cut the 4 x 4 posts to length as well.

Can I do this with one blade?

I have cut lots of Ipe and routed lots of slots in Ipe. Oddly I get MUCH
better mileage out of a HHS end mill bit than using the common carbide bit.
That said, a common saw may cut the wood but will you live long enough to
finish the cut. There is going to be a lot of effort on your part. Can you
notch the posts with a router bit?