wallster

Great info! sounds like it would probably be okay but questionable
(especially factoring in time and fatigue)
I'll go up a notch.
thanks again!

walt

Capt. Tundra wrote:
I was going to make a luggage rack / platform that would fit into my 2"
receiver and was planning to use 2" square x .125 tube also. Just to get an
idea of the strength my son and I stood on the tube about 2-3 feet from the
hitch and we bounced up and down on it, tube did not bend or flex, (as far
as I could tell and we weigh about 325 lbs combined).
So based on that, you should be fine.
If you don't have the tube yet, buy the 3/16 of 1/4 inch stuff. I'm a big
fan of overbuilding when it comes to safety issues.

YMMV,

Chuck

"wallster" wrote in message
oups.com...
alright geniuses, (i actually mean that) I'm welding up a dirt bike
carrier for the jeep and the hot rolled, mild steel 2" square tubing
(that goes into the receiver) has a wall thickness of .125"
Without getting too detailed (because there will be two stabilyzing
tongues as well, then there's the length of the tube, weight of the
bike, etc) but how much force (or weight) APPROX. does it take to bend
a piece of this stuff? The details that i do have: the bike platform
weighs about 30lbs, and the bike weighs about 215lbs. (length from
reciever to channel is 30")

thanks
walt

example of what the hell i'm talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4572979149