Greg O

"Ignoramus25850" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:30:19 GMT, Toller wrote:
I don't claim to have really followed it, but do know that the contacts
on
my TS relay fused closed. Unless your device accomodates that (on the
line
contacts) safely, it is no good.

What is a TS relay?

I want to use a large contactor, rated for way more than what my
generator can supply. My genset generates about 28A, whereas the
contactor that I would use is rated for 30A.

Not a good idea at all!!
A transfer switch has to be designed so if it fails it absolutely can not
back feed into the utility power. If your contactor fails closed, and
believe me it does happen, your generator can back feed per to the utility.

I install and service standby generators, if one of our transfer switches
fail there is absolutely no way it will back feed power. The transfer switch
may fail in either position, but no way will it cause a back feed!
Greg