A. Smith

SoCalMike wrote:
A. Smith wrote:

The EPA's numbers don't match my experience.

I have a 98 Civic HX. It looks like the EPA has
it at around 35 mpg which is rediculously low in
my experience.

I always get between 51 and 53 mpg except for the
few times I go on the interstate. Then it drops
to the high 40's.

my 98 CX 5spd gets a steady 32 in mixed driving. its rated 32/37, IIRC.
whatever youre doing is obviously working.

Of course, I drive it gently, and the tires are "inflated."
Amd I am very careful about "breaking in" the engine - I really
don't know if that does much or not but I have always had good
"luck."

The biggest difference is the engine. The engine in the HX
has the cam with two profiles - high speed and low speed.
Before the Honda I had an even lighter car that only got 40+
mpg compared with 50+ on the heavier HX.