TonyB

SMS wrote:
TonyB wrote:

and expect it to last the life of the vehicle.

Usual utterly mindless sales bull****. Note that they dont say
anything about what that 'life of the vehicle' involves time wise.

It's always amusing to see the "lasts the life of the vehicle"
statements by automakers. Yep, when the battery dies, the life of the vehicle
is over, and the battery lasted the life of the vehicle.

Yeah, in spades with the lifetime guarantees on electronic devices
and media particularly. I've never needed to exercise one of those,
I've always expected them to roll of the floor laughing and point out
that its just reached the end of its life and tell you to bugger off.

One particularly anal fellow I know used to do it with floppys,
normally at trade shows, demand a replacement for any
floppy that had failed. He always got a replacement.

As Toyota stated regarding the RAV 4 EV, "The cost to replace the battery is
more than the value of the vehicle."

Yeah, that's why it flew like the proverbial lead balloon.

We've seen similar idiotic statements from automakers regarding other
components, i.e. Saturn timing chains, which, when they break, usually mark
the end of the
vehicle ('see, we told you that the timing chain would last the life of the
vehicle!').

With a hybrid, you really have to be measuring fuel economy over the long term
to know when the battery capacity has diminished to the point where it's no
longer contributing to the fuel economy.

And long before that it wont be getting anything like the
fuel economy that the spruikers are selling it as having.

Absolutely classic snake oil merchant stuff.