T i m

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:42:56 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:

If the pilot stays on after releasing the button, it sounds as if the
thermocouple and flame failure device are working ok.

Well, I think it DID say on all the time as long as you held the knob
in long enough to start with and did nothing else? Once it *seemed* to
go out when I put the front back on (carefully), another when I closed
the control box lid and another when I turned the gas control knob to
'Full'? But when I tried any of the above again the pilot stayed on?

If the pilot goes out
when the main burner comes on, it suggests that it's being blown out by the
sudden rush of air. In this case, the pilot probably isn't quite powerful
enough - either because its height needs adjusting (is there a separate
little regulator for this?) or because there's a bit of crud partially
blocking its jet.

That's what I first thought but the flame was pretty strong?

Anyway, I fitted the new thermocouple, shorted the 'overheat stat'
connectors and lit the pilot .. so far so good ;-)

I turned the control knob to 'On' .. still pilot .. turned the power
supply to the boiler on then the boiler itself, up came the main
burner and the pilot stayed on ;-)

I tried this a few times and each time it was A ok ;-)

The only 'problem' now is the only replacement thermocouple that I was
supplied (that looked like it had the right ends AND the connector for
the 'inhibitor') places the inhibitor connectors inside the main
boiler (outside the heat exchanger g) area rather than inside the
control box? So, I'm going to have to crimp up a pair of longer cables
(silicon) to reconnect the inhibitor. I can't see that being a problem
as the connectors will be quite low in the casing (alongside the pilot
gas tube and the ignitor wire) and will be cooled by the input air
flow (balanced flue)?

Thanks to all who helped / advised / questioned on this one and an
extra point for those who said 'thermocouple' ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Now Mum is talking about where to fit the new condensing boiler!