The Natural Philosopher

Default Diamond wheel tile cutters

Mike Dodd wrote:

You'll not need those, as all it throws out is water with some slurry

in

it - no chunks as you might expect with an angle grinder etc. Just make
sure you set the guard as low as possible otherwise you'll get soaked -
but in any case wear something that doesn't matter if it gets wet.

Tell me your joking?

No, Dave's right. With a solid disk as used in table tile cutters the
chances of anything flying off are pretty low, and the chances of it
getting past the guard even lower.

I'm pretty careful, and will often be seen wearing goggles while angle
grinding. I even use a welding mask when welding. But I don't think
these tile cutters require such precautions.

How many of us wear goggles while hitting things with a hammer? Far more
risk there.

Absolute boll....

okay, to be more constructive... I have used the rotary tile cutters, and as
an earlier poster pointed out you do tend to get wet through with the splash
from the disk. This water, however, is laden with ceramic (or whatever) dust
from the cut (take a look at the colour of your tee-shirt after it dries!)
so I'd hate to get that in my eyes. Also, after a few seconds of use you
tend to end up craning your neck trying to work out where your carefully
marked line (which is being obliterated by the water/dust combo) is, which
tends to result in more face-flung water. And, every now and then, you'll
feel a small chip hit the old forehead - a sure sign that this is a good
time to be wearing safety specs.

I'm one of the many that the OP refers to with amazement, I tend to have an
unhealthy disregard for my own safety, however, angle grinders and the
rotary tile cutter are two devices that I'll always dig out those old specs
for.

Just one last point - tiling bathroom floors? (assuming upstairs / wooden
floor) - are you mad?, okay, if you know what you're doing then fair shout,
if not, ask advice here (from one who's tiled bathroom floor lasted 3 days
before being ripped up)

My first one lasted 2 years, but an unspotted leak from the bog that
caused the floor to swell put paid to it. Now relaid with thick beds of
flexible cement and fine...

Its all about stability of the subtsrate.
Regards