TheAlligator

Cliff wrote:

Quite a few firms & systems got hit by the hurricane.
It looks like many had no good disaster recovery system.

Some may have lost their backups too I'd wager.

This includes government Sites.

How many firms are now out of business?
--
Cliff

Disaster recovery is the number one priority of my job. It's not
easy, but it's workable. But all it takes is one day of slacking off
and the whole plan is down the tubes. It is a very serious
undertaking. We use Computer Associates Brightstor with the DA option
which allows me to (using one CD and the latest backup tapes) rebuild
any server, no matter how dead it is. We keep an inventory of spare
drives and other components in a big ol' vault for safety (along with
the offsite tapes that have been returned in the last few weeks) .
Believe me, there are so many competing priorities that it would be
easy to ignore this stuff but I have been told many times, DR is your
number one concern - if anybody comes up with something that
interferes with that, screw them. It is something that just requires
the unwavering attention to detail to get it done - it isn't some kind
of expensive miracle.