Jeff Wisnia

Howard Goldstein wrote:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:56:02 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
: Howard Goldstein wrote:
:
: Seeking a replacement for a 3-terminal "light delay" component for my
: ancient Overhead Door model 100 garage door opener (or something I can
: work with to replace the original component) .
:
: This component is ceramic element wrapped with fragile nichrome that's
: supposed to heat up a nearby bimetal contact that closes and lights the
: lamps for a while after the moter reaches its limit.
:
: The factory stopped making this model and the component back in 82 so
: if anyone has an old one they'd sell the part from, or can suggest an
: alternative to a new garage door operator, please let me know.
: Thanks!
:
:
: Well, if you are really gung ho about sparing no expense to fix that old
: timer, and want to stick with the olde technology, they still do make
: thermal time delay relays.

I probably went too far with this old POS to begin with, just about
everything in it has been replaced from the starter cap to the motor
to the open/close. All except for the stupid timer that's at issue now.

: Oh yeah, looks like you'll also need an octal "tube socket" to plug it
: into. I could sport you one of those, I've got plenty left over from the
: '50s.

Thanks for the offer! Not sure I could mount it in the case though.
Your reply gave me some good search terms I'll poke around with
in case a guardian angel doesn't have one of these or a mindless
replacement for same laying around

: Otherwise, get one of the youngsters to learn 'ya about solid state time
: delay relays.

Any particular technology I should look for in these? The primary
has to pass a good 10 amps worth of 110v inductive motor load,

You said it was "fragile" nichrome. Are you sure the moter current flows
*through* it? It'd have to be fairly heavy (like maybe #22 wire or so.)
to handle that much current. Guess it depends on your meaning of
"fragile" though.

Methinks maybe that heater's in parallel with the motor and has 115
volts *across* it when the motor is running.

Jeff

and the
lamps ought to stay on for 2 or 3 minutes, maybe 240 watts
on the lights (includes a 2x safety factor)(why do i care about safety
I dont know, my sanity is gone from playing with this darned thing
anyway)

de n2wx Howard

--
Jeffry Wisnia