Jeff Wisnia

Default light delay component for old garage door operator

Howard Goldstein wrote:

Seeking a replacement for a 3-terminal "light delay" component for my
ancient Overhead Door model 100 garage door opener (or something I can
work with to replace the original component) .

This component is ceramic element wrapped with fragile nichrome that's
supposed to heat up a nearby bimetal contact that closes and lights the
lamps for a while after the moter reaches its limit.

The factory stopped making this model and the component back in 82 so
if anyone has an old one they'd sell the part from, or can suggest an
alternative to a new garage door operator, please let me know.
Thanks!

Well, if you are really gung ho about sparing no expense to fix that old
timer, and want to stick with the olde technology, they still do make
thermal time delay relays.

You could use one of these, ordered with a 115 volt heater, a time delay
you specify (from 5 seconds to 3 minutes), and a rated life of 100,000
operations, which means if the door is used twice a day, it should last
you at least 136.89 years, including leap years. G

http://www.hoagland-instrument.com/h320.html

Oh yeah, looks like you'll also need an octal "tube socket" to plug it
into. I could sport you one of those, I've got plenty left over from the
'50s.

Otherwise, get one of the youngsters to learn 'ya about solid state time
delay relays.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia