Aidan

Default Agent scrapes in under the wire with a last-minute viewing!

Hang about!

" Apparently as long as
someone has been referred to the property by the current agent (I
assume up until close of business on the day of expiry of the sole
agency agreement), that - henceforth former - agent gets the
commission if the viewer does go ahead and buy the property, even if
the viewer took a week or so to make a decision."

I think that the agent is entitled to a commission on a sale to a
purchaser that he has 'introduced'. I think that's the usual wording,
but it's a long time since I've bought a house. RTFM, I think, or the
contract in this case.

"What I'm not quite sure of is, the property will be on at a lower
price with the new agent."

If you sign up to a sole agency agreement with the new agents, then
their contract will entitle them to a commission on ANY sale, agreed
in the duration of the contract. In other words, if you sell to these
new viewers, you could wind up owing a commission to both agents,
whether at the original or the reduced price. RTFC again.

" I couldn't get more disillusioned."

Oh yes you can!

Good luck.