Elmo

Lou wrote:
"anon" wrote in message

same here. I have a 95 Geo Prizm 1.8L stick. They
say 29 city, but over the life of the car so far it's been
33 city. Generally their numbers are way too high, not
too low.

The EPA's numbers don't match my experience.

Mine neither. I have a 2005 Impala LS. Automatic transmission, electric
everything. This is what the EPA classifies as a large car, and the mileage
rating is 22/30 city/highway. I'm consistently getting over 30 mpg in mixed
driving - last week, for instance, I drove 440 and a fraction miles, and got
36.2 miles per gallon according to the average mileage gauge the car comes
equipped with.

In my experience over the last 10 - 20 years, the EPA ratings are low.

Moi aussi! (Pardon my French.)
I have always gotten higher than EPA numbers but then I have a light
foot on the gas and I have a tendency to coast when I know I'm likely
to need to stop for that light up ahead (which may explain why Ed over
at the garage can't figure out how my brakes last so long). Contrast
that with three different cars I saw and heard yesterday while riding
my pedal-powered-cycle -- all of them had to pull out onto the main
road from the side street and floor it because they were on a straight
stretch of road with no traffic on it at all.

--
"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything.
I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency.