SQLit

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce

I seriously doubt that you will find the molding anywhere but the
manufacture. I do not remember steel doors on residential 30 years ago. My
guess the doors are of a much later manufacture.

I bought some steel French doors from Lowes. Same basic construction as you
describe. I decided since I did not want to cut the block wall for the
doggie door. I would take out one of the vent windows next to the door, the
width was perfect. I located the manufacture and asked if they would custom
build a side light for me... NO was the answer. I asked if they would sell
me a side light window.. "HELL NO was the answer. We are in the business to
make door sets we do not sell parts and pieces". I asked to speak to the
management. They hung up on me.

Good luck, might be time to consider a front door replacement.