mindwipe

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:
Got up the other day to find my van was dead.
No problem, I thought, battery is flat [1] I'll charge it up.
2 hours later the charging current was less than 1A and the voltage was
up
to 14.6V.

But as soon the key was turned the pre-heater relay started chattering.
Investigations showed the battery was unable to receive a charge and
could
only deliver a few amps. Battery only about 2.5 years old.

Was told when I went to buy a replacement "if Calcium batteries
go flat they die".

Q1. What is a Calcium version of a Lead Acid battery?
Q2. Other than my experience is it true that they are less robust (to
deep

Car batteries of any sort may die due to deep discharge - the plates can
buckle and short.
Calcium is an alloying element added.

AFAIK
calcium batteries need a special charger
i was told that a normal type of charger will damage the battery