Ed Sirett

Default Calcium vehicle batteries.

Got up the other day to find my van was dead.
No problem, I thought, battery is flat [1] I'll charge it up.
2 hours later the charging current was less than 1A and the voltage was up
to 14.6V.

But as soon the key was turned the pre-heater relay started chattering.
Investigations showed the battery was unable to receive a charge and could
only deliver a few amps. Battery only about 2.5 years old.

Was told when I went to buy a replacement "if Calcium batteries
go flat they die".

Q1. What is a Calcium version of a Lead Acid battery?
Q2. Other than my experience is it true that they are less robust (to deep
discharge).

The original (FIAT) battery spec was 12V 380A 60Ahr.
The new one is Halfords 12V 600A @ -30C + reserve of 25A for 1 hour.

[1] The interior light (probably 1.75A) might have been on all night due
to an improperly closed door rear door. This should not have taken all the
power out of the battery but may be it wasn't fully charged prior.