BoborAnn

Default Help with Display problem

I have a Sony DTC 700 DAT tape transport that the display has gone blank on.
This is a blue display that can be turned off entirely or partially or the
intensity changed
I don't know the technology but it appears to be a gas based display given
the display unit shows the remains of the glass connections used to evacuate
it and has an intact getter
I've probed around and it seems odd that the unit is provided a 4-5 VAC
source.
Hoping somebody can provide some guidance on what these displays are called
and how they work so I can keep this unit out of a landfill
Aside from the display the unit runs fine
Thanks in advance
Bob