John Cartmell

In article ,
MM wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel. Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective, otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

They suck up the mucky water so you can put more water down in the first
place.
They work faster than when you do it on hands & knees and so the water can be
hotter.
They keep mucky and clean water separate.
You can clean carpets faster with them and you can destroy carpets faster.
And don't do rugs on top of laminate flooring.