N Cook

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Richy" wrote in message news:wnKSe.2993$Di4.542@trnddc07...
What's the best way to clean CDs? I heard rubbing alcohol and a cotton
cloth or t-shirt.

Not quite cleaning, but dealing with scratches ...

If you have a scratched or scuffed disc, try metal polish of the ' wadding

'
type. Rub vigourously around the scratched area ( there's no need in this
case to worry about doing it radially rather than in circular motions, but
that said, I agree with what everyone else has commented about not

CLEANING
with tangential movements ). You only need to work the wadding around the
scuff / scratch for 30 seconds or so, then let the polish residue dry to a
white haze for another 30 seconds or so. Now polish off with a lint free
cloth, and you will be amazed that the damage has apparently completely
disappeared.

I don't think that it does actually go, rather that the metal polish

leaves
behind an oily protection layer, which ' fills ' the scratch or scuff in,
and has a refractive index very similar to that of the plastic.
Never-the-less, the effect is to completely recover a disc with poor
playability due to damage, in all but the most severe cases. Also works

for
computer CD ROMs that the machine has dificulty with for the same reason.

Arfa

Anyone tried one of those CD surface heating and rotating gizmos ?